Wednesday 1 October 2014

September 30th Naughty Beetle!

This could only happen in Irene's world. It is not very often that I make long journeys in my car. However in the last month, I have had occasion to, three separate times. With the amount of Speed Cameras (covert and uncovert), policeman (usually covert) on our roads, I have matured and been really good and stick to the speed limit, whether on the open road or around town.

After the second journey, I actually mentioned to George how slow everyone is driving these days. I couldn't understand it, as whether it was on the open road or even on roads around town, I appeared to be leaving everyone eating my dust, apart from the odd other vehicle. Yet, I was sticking religiously to all the appropriate speed limits. I mentioned it, and didn't give it another thought.

We had to collect George's new vehicle from Auckland, so we drove mine up.  George even recalled my comment about leaving other vehicles behind, and kept checking I was driving to the speed limit. Returning home he was in his car, I was in mine. I had to pass him a few times and I thought he was just testing his new car at various speeds.

A few days passed, and then George remembered he had to tell me something. He wondered when we were driving home that day, after saying that I stick to the speed limit, why was I speeding? He said I was at least 20kms (approx. 12 miles) over the limit. Why did I decide to go fast? I swore black and blue that I didn't and he was going slow. We then decided to take my car for a test drive with his GPS unit in the vehicle. The GPS tells you the speed you are going with an error rate of approx. 5km sometimes.

Well. Well and Well!!  My naughty little Beetle has been playing tricks on me. The speedometer has thrown all caution to the wind, and the higher the speed I reached the further it was out. It was only accurate when I was at a standstill! So for god knows how long, I have been blatting along in my little green Beetle on suburban streets and on highways, music blaring and speeding.  I have no idea how long this has gone on for! Needless to say that particular part of my Beetle is booked in for Punishment School and to have an overhaul.

In the meantime... look what arrived in the mail? And the infringement is for the day George & I drove up together and came home in separate vehicles.


No comments:

Post a Comment