Monday 13 October 2014

October 12th A Domestic Goddess I Am Not

I would like to present myself as perfect in the kitchen at all times, but that is hardly the reality. Today I was into cookie manufacturing mode, for an upcoming stay at the beach. The cookie recipe I have is so good, that George requested I double it, so we, ie he, had a good supply.

Now I am sure 99.99% of you don't have this problem. When I start to double recipes - that is when things go pie shaped. My brain always seems to somehow screw up the calculations. Today was no exception.  Don't ask me how 3/4 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar somehow when doubled became 3 1/2 cups of each.  I have no idea if I misread the recipe, if I miscalculated, but I was creaming my butter & sugar and wondered what the heck was going on. So did my poor mixer when it started smoking. And I don't mean baby we are smoking hot in a good way. In my defense, it didn't help that at the same time George & I were discussing the placement of Xmas trees on the front deck.  We now have 3 for outside (it used to be 2) - should it be the 2 greens, should it be 1 green and 1 white,  maybe 3 but that would be overkill.  I tell you.. my brain can not cope with maths, Xmas trees, cookies and smoking mixers at the same time. It wasn't only the butter that was melting, so was my brain - as in a meltdown.

Fortunately all was saved thanks to having a mathematician in the house (obviously not myself). Sir George, my knight in shining armour, recalculated the entire recipe to match the quantities I had misinterpreted.

I was off making cookies on a commercial scale. We have Cookies for Africa people. I kid you not.



There were also Bowls for Africa everywhere - you just can't see them all

It's Cookie Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment