Sunday 30 November 2014

November 29th Let's Light Up Our Xmas

Well I am a sorry state of affairs aren't I?  Tonight our Xmas lights were turned on. I took photos of the house, a photo inside - more comprehensive photos will follow, but then realised I didn't take photos of our Switcher Onners!  How rude am I? It has become a tradition that Rob, Jo and Raewyn turn on our lights. Raewyn - a welcome recent addition, as there are 3 main switches to be flipped, and George gives the countdown, and I supervise (someone has to have a supervisory role?)

I am going to share with you today (so be prepared for a novel) the history of our Xmas lights, and why they are important to me (and just about kill my poor darling George, installing them).  My younger years were spent as a Jehovah's Witness - which meant no birthdays and no Xmas.  In my very late teens, I suffered an allergic reaction to that particular religion, and left - before they officially booted me out.  That is neither here nor there, but explains my manic obsession with Xmas. Another obsession I have is Bling. I often think in a past life, I must have been a Magpie. If it is shiny, and glistens and sparkles I want it.

So now let's go back a few years not long after I had married George. We were shopping one Xmas, and saw Xmas light decorations. I said to George, how I loved Xmas decorations, and wouldn't it be nice to have just a few outside decorations (note the use of the word 'few').  He said well why don't we? My counter argument was that we live up a steep driveway, tucked away from the world and no one would see it. His counter counter argument ... well who would we do it for, for us or for others. So I did one of my excited jumps and waved my hands in the air and said why not, let's do it. So we bought just a few. Got home and George installed them immediately. Well thank goodness for late night shopping, as in that one night we made a further two trips back to the shop to purchase more. And then the after Xmas sales followed so we got more.  And from there it grew.

Now we have a massive Xmas light display. I pretty up the lounge and decorate the extra trees on the outside deck. George does the outside.  There is a competition for the first time this year, and we have NOT entered it.  Our mutual decision is that we do this for ourselves, and for family (especially two grand daughters who had a sneak preview), friends, neighbours and word of mouth. Yes we get strangers who come up to see what is going on, and they are welcomed. Our Xmas light display is done with love.  And as my son said to George today... "You don't do this for anyone else do you, you do it all just for Mum".  Aren't I the blessed one.  So my early years were spent pining for Xmas bling and decorations (never mind the presents, I don't care about those), and from now until Xmas, I just look in wonderment at the beauty surrounding us, and that I can share it with loved ones. Oh and thanks to technology - with you all as well.  Here's wishing you all a wonderful and festive Xmas season. 

Love Irene xxxx

The lounge mantelpiece





2 comments:

  1. The house looks beautiful. The only thing that is missing is some snow. The snow makes Christmas feel like Christmas.

    With best regards,
    W in Alexandria , Va.,
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George would be in total agreement with you on that one W - he is used to having White Xmas's. Whereas here where we are living, snow is a non event and Xmas is during summertime.

      Delete