Monday 19 January 2015

January 16th to 18th - The Unexpected and Spontaneous Weekend

Friday January 16th started off with the expectation that we would have a quiet weekend at home. Just the two of us, just unpacking elephants (I still haven't started on that one after they have been away for Xmas), just gardening. I thought this was going to be my photo of the day


This was taken where I had the best Thai massage ever that wasn't in Thailand. A local business has set up and she really went to work on me, with her elbows and all.  After that effort I made my way home late afternoon, to discover an unexpected invite to head over to Whitianga for the weekend, and a spot of game fishing. Those that know me are fully aware that I don't fish. But who is going to turn down the chance of heading out on the deep blue yonder - and it doesn't mean I personally have to wield a fishing rod does it?

Whitianga is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive away. I had to find out if there was room at the inn for Minnie (that is at her doggy motel), I had to pack, oops better ask George if he is up to a weekend away that involved a day's fishing. That is like asking the Pope if he wants to wear his funny hat, if a bear wants to do his business in the woods, and did a certain President have sex with that woman?

So it was all very rushed, but it came together and off we set. Guided by the rays of wisdom


A no brainer which way to turn here - left it was and to Coromandel Peninsula we go


This was dessert - Who stole the chocolates? Who? Who? Oops that was a song about dogs wasn't it?


Serenaded into the night by the Piper of Pipes


Saturday 17th January - Up with the larks as this fishing business is serious and you have to head out early. Coffee is a must to start the day and it was enjoyed along with this beautiful sunrise


There was a bit of cloud cover as we sailed out. I had enough sense to not start singing out loud:
 "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
 I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
 I can't abide Spinach,
 but will eat it to the finish,
 I'm Popeye the Sailor Man"

A bit of low cloud as we headed out, but as we set out for sea the cloud cover was all on land


What was the highlight of our day fishing. To be followed by a pod of Dolphins, which almost seemed like a nursery. There were baby dolphins in there. It was amazing. Impossible to catch a photo however as they are so fast. I wanted to enjoy the moment as opposed to try and catch a snap of them.  However I did catch this visual sight


That black mass around that boat is a huge flock of birds!  I have never seen anything like this. They appeared calm and weren't in a frenzy.  Alfred Hitchock would have loved this bird scene

Sunday 18th January Time to wind down and stop and smell the fresh air when we awoke


Then with a lurch back to reality, driving home we were reminded what traffic was


And of totally no relevance here is a cute little Bus Stop across the road from our Ice Cream stop


No comments:

Post a Comment