Monday 29 September 2014

September 28th The Perfect Pork Crackling

Today we were having a family day. On the 16th it was my youngest (!) son's 30th Birthday and on the 29th my darling George's birthday.

So time for a get together and some cake.  I was going to do a Pork Shoulder Roast or a Leg of Lamb - George thought one on it's own wouldn't be enough - 6 adults and 2 children? - and asked me to do both. So the Lamb was slow roasted in the BBQ and the Pork was consigned to the inside oven.

Now for the dilemma.... Pork Crackling. I have tried so many recommendations and they are so, so, okay. Some have worked out, some still have that chewiness, some remain forgettable they were that bad!  I happened to be reading an online article a couple of weeks ago, and a UK Journalist decided to trial the most 7 popular methods to make pork crackling in the UK. I decided to go with their No. 1 Choice and here are the necessary ingredients.. and utensil!



Yes you are seeing correctly. That is my hair dryer. My Pork Shoulder roast enjoyed what amounted to a spa session.  First you take it totally out of the cling wrap and I put it on paper towels. Then with a very sharp knife, make sure the cuts are all the way down to the meat.  I then spent about 5 minutes blowing extremely hot air on to the skin of the Pork. I am glad I was home alone as I am sure I looked pretty silly using a hair dryer on a shoulder of pork. (Believe me I am not telling Porkies here!!).

When I thought I had spent enough time drying the skin, I then tenderly massaged two tablespoons of oil into the skin. Think a Thai Massage - and you can make a pig of yourself.  Once that was completed - ie I think the massage time took a good 3 minutes or so. I then rubbed in sea salt.

Take note this all happened the day before. I then wrapped the pork as shown above into a tea towel, and left it in the fridge until the next day, taking it out so it would reach room temperature. In to a hot oven for 10 minutes, just long enough to sear the meat. And I then continued with cooking the pork at normal temperature. When the meat was ready, I removed the pork from the oven and cut the skin off (it was close enough to looking good, but very similar to my previous crackling attempts. I then placed it back in the oven under a hot grill for I think approx. 10 minutes. It was all hands on deck with veg, potatoes etc and fortunately I remembered in time my pork skin under a very hot grill.

The verdict using the above method? Wow, wow and wow. I just wish I had taken a photo but it was chaotic serving up the meal, and when everyone saw the crackling - it was devoured before the main meal!  Give it a try it is definitely worth it.

Oh and before the PC Brigade jump in... one of the most requested How To questions on the internet when it comes to Pork apparently, is how to achieve the perfect Pork crackling. I salute you who are ready to abuse, with my one middle finger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment