Sunday 28 September 2014

September 27th An Awesome Act Of Kindness From Strangers

So there I was at my local supermarket known to all and sundry as Pak n Save - but whom I refer to as Rak n Rave. The food prices are definitely lower but sometimes fellow shoppers can look like something out of  'Humans of Walmart'.  Some are definitely from another planet. Some definitely do not know what they are doing on this planet.  But because I am profoundly tighter with my cash then a priest in a brothel for his first time, I shop there.

Usually George accompanies me, dependant upon whether I am being a work or a fishing widow. Today I was the widow of the fishing kind. He was off sailing the deep blue, hauling in loads of fresh fish (I hoped), and it was up to me to face Rak n Rave on my own.

Which brings me to supermarket trolleys!  I don't know whether it is because my arse is very close to the ground and my height is munted - but when it comes to emptying a trolley I actually have trouble reaching in to them. Being of wider girth doesn't help either. I can't turn myself into rubber woman to squeeze around the trolley in a narrow aisle when unpacking my purchases. I have visions of one day trying to get items out and ending up head down in a trolley with my posterior & two short fat legs sticking out!

I was going along with my usual business and not taking much notice of the world around me (apart from greeting the checkout operator of course, that is a pre-requisite), when a gentle voice asked "Excuse me Madam, can I help you with emptying your trolley'' Normally that sort of enquiry would send me into such shock that I would respond with ''WTF''.  But I had spotted this young lad of approx 16 years of age with his family earlier in the aisles. He was there in the queue behind me with his parents and wanted to assist me. Being of Polish disposition, coupled with being short and a width that matches my height - I said ''Thank You, that is so sweet of you, but I am perfectly fine. Thank you anyway for such a lovely thought" Thinking to myself at the same time - now why aren't 99.99% of NZ youth like that! The young lad went back to stand with his Mum. Then his Dad piped up ''Absolutely not. Let us do that for you'' - and promptly emptied my trolley on to the checkout conveyor belt!

I could not thank them enough. I wasn't in a situation to pay that act of kindness forward today. But it absolutely blew me away.  I don't think I look like I am close to 90 years of age yet and unable to cope with emptying a supermarket trolley. I kept saying thank you, but really wanted to say - hey why not come back to mine for a coffee. But you can't - can you or should you?  I still get teary eyed at my encounter with this lovely family today. I am so pleased they agreed to me taking a photo of them.

I hope life is full of the best for them. I hope their son's grow up and make their Mother and Father proud, and most of all I hope their lives are surrounded by love - from family, friends and strangers such as myself. These are The People of Pak n Save!






2 comments:

  1. Great story Irene, isn't it times like that that restore your faith in the goodness of people :)
    I am also struck with the same body design features as you, I only ever get those nice smaller higher trolleys now, no more reaching into the bottom to almost fall in for me :) And our local PnS has plenty of them now, no more stalking them as they are leaving the store, plenty for everyone! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must start nagging our PnS to get those trolleys Brenda. They are much easier then trying to climb in to one. Or maybe they do have them and I have never noticed - there's a thought????

    ReplyDelete