Wednesday 25 May 2016

May 24th The Dinner Invitation That Went Awry

We were invited out to dinner, to be cooked for by my younger son and his partner. All good. But you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. Actually did you know that the line 'the best laid plans of mice and men' originates from a Robert Burns poem, and it should actually read 'the best laid schemes of mice and men'. See! As I  have often said this wee blog can be a tad educational at times too. And I managed to fill out a few lines and up my character count at the same time.

Back to our dinner. We had about 30 minutes until we had to  head out, when a god almighty storm struck complete with thunder and lightning. Then it was hark - is that my phone I hear? Actually it was, and due to being in another room in charge position, it could hardly be heard.

Gina, my son's partner, was ringing. She was stranded not far from our home and her vehicle window wiper's had decided to break. She couldn't see a thing, let alone drive the 20kms to their home. George ventured out in his shining armour (his car) to save the damsel in distress. She followed his lights to come back to our home. Which was fortunate as the rain was that torrential, it was impossible to see without window wipers.

Where was my son, Todd? Well he had an appointment and that went a lot longer than expected. He eventually turned up at ours. With the weather and other events conspiring against us, it was decided that dinner would be at our house.


You seriously didn't expect me to cook a dinner for four at 5 minutes notice did you? Do I look like Wonder Woman? I know there are times when I am the Nigella, the Julia, the whomever famous female celebrity chef of the moment is, in the kitchen. But really? Me? At 5 minutes notice? Get real folks. This is where the Colonel and his southern fried chicken saved the day. And it was finger licking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment