Thursday 26 November 2015

November 24th and 25th Playing Hookey

Well I got to play hookey for a couple of days and it was mid week. I almost felt guilty and ready to slash my wrists for being absent from my desk (not).

My initial reason for heading up to Auckland (approx. 100kms away), was to attend an evening presentation for the Rocky Mountaineer train, based in Canada. 


As an added bonus we were treated to a cooking class by the Head Chef, who is based on the train for the 6 months of the year that it operates.



Followed by us splitting into teams,, prepping, cooking and re-creating the meal that was demonstrated to us



That was Tuesday evening. It was lovely to catch up with friends whilst I was up in this neck of the woods. Coincidentally however, I discovered that a long ago acquaintance from Italy was in NZ with a colleague and in Auckland. The last time I met Corrado was 15 1/2 years ago and that was when we both attended a combined 'Chat Meet'/Birthday celebration in Den Bosch, Netherlands. 

Debbie, who was also a member of that long ago chat room, Travellers Chat (which is now disbanded due to the advances of technology, but a lot of us are still friends all these years later), decided on a scenic place for us to get together for lunch. We met at The Riverhead Tavern, an extremely historic tavern, and I confess I have never been there before. We enjoyed a delicious lunch and catch up


And here we are. The last time I saw Corrado was 15 years ago, and I confess that it may also been a very long time since Debbie and I have crossed paths - but with both, it felt like there had been no passing of time


No the pole wasn't for pole dancing demonstrations. That is an umbrella stand thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment