Tuesday 24 November 2015

November 23rd The Dog That Thought She Was A Cat

George and I have often commented that Minnie is more cat like than dog like, in her behaviour. This is not only because of her regal manner, but her idiosyncracies. Curling up on the bed and sofa, wanting to be picked up and carried (her requests for a satin cushion have been ignored) and her behaviour, in general, has been more noticeably feline than canine. So much so, that we have often wondered if she was a cat in a past life.

Well today she only added to that argument. George was outside Xmas light decorating (as you do). I was weeding the garden (just a small patch - one must take care of one's nails), and it was time for me to head inside and make like a housewife, ie prepare dinner.  I noticed a large blackish clump on the kitchen floor - exactly in the centre. At first I thought Minnie had been extremely sick (and cursed her for not selecting an outside location). However on closer inspection I noticed it was a mouse, that had been chewed (for want of a better expression) and it was in the throes of dying. Stuart Little was gasping his very last breath!

I definitely did NOT want to take a photo of a mouse in it's very last final moments. Even Mice are allowed some privacy and decency in their death throes.  But I will take a photo of the culprit. Yes, The Dog That Thought She Was A Cat, aka Minnie.

One can only hope that she caught Stuart outside and brought him inside to show off her hunting prowess, and did not find Stuart lurking within our four walls! Also does anyone know of any good Animal Behaviourists?  Although I think at age 11, Minnie may be a tad too old to change her ways!




2 comments:

  1. Look at those lovely big dark eyes...........all innocence like 'it wasn't me!' I'm sure Minnie brought it inside just to show off to Mum and Dad! By the way, Minnie doesn't purr does she? Love to Minnie from moi. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, it would not surprise me if Minnie would start purring one day - I think she is suppressing them for now :) xxxx

      Delete