Tuesday 27 October 2015

October 24th - 26th Labour Weekend

This past weekend for us was a long weekend, with a public holiday. Appropriately titled Labour Weekend - which is to commemorate the struggle for an eight hour working day. I  have to question whether that was a successful fight some days?

Labour weekend for us personally means gearing up for Xmas. The garden has to be ready for the light display. I start thinking about what food has to be prepared.

I am going to do my photos backwards, as Monday, for myself anyway, was dedicated to the annual making of the Xmas cake. This is a lovely moist cake and only requires three ingredients (well 5 if you count 2 essences).  I like to make it at the end of October and then I add that certain little something, once a week, to moisten it.  Here's the end result


That was Monday's effort, and now let's go backwards to Sunday.  I bought these tealight candles, and chose these ones as they maintained they would burn for 9 hours. I wanted to test the accuracy of this claim and the proof is in the pudding (or the Xmas cake if we remain with that theme), and I am proud to say it burnt for 9.5 hours.  Don't worry I am not losing my marbles. This is for a function and I wanted to check they would last the distance maintained.


And backwards we go one more day. Our Bird of Paradise plant/shrub/tree has started flowering, so I had to take my annual photo of the first flower to present itself. The Rosemary you can see in the background, has since had a big haircut and is now shorter.


No comments:

Post a Comment