Saturday 2 November 2013

October 26th to October 30th Fiji Me...

We decided to  have a spot of R & R (the polite way of saying a Slob and Blob) in Fiji for a few days. And because I was slobbing and blobbing, all thoughts of technology and blob oops I meant blog updates were far from my mind. 

But just as they say in the movies.. honey I'm home, or I'll be back - yes I am back. I am going to put my Travel Agent hat on for a minute and talk Fiji things. I have never been a real advocate of Fiji, as you tend to get plonked in the one resort and as it is, of course, a large island, travellers rarely leave their resort.  Which is why I picked the Westin Resort on Denarau Island as our place to blob. Only 20 minutes from the airport, if that, and you are at your slob and blob destination.

Firstly this impressive fellow was there to wish us goodbye at Auckland Airport. A rather formidable fellow, extremely heavy and how he managed to haul himself to the top of the escalators to the first floor, I have no idea. He certainly cemented our relationship.






George thought it only right to get into the local flavour on the plane

Westin Resorts are known for their heavenly bedding. This photo actually doesn't do the bedding justice as the duvet was fluffy and soft, as were the pillows.

My morning breakfast dilemma. Do I have my coffee first, or the champagne?
 Little Johnny spent the day perched on the banisters outside our room. He was always there to greet us, no matter what time of day it was. His partner was a tad shy and wouldn't pose for a Meet and Greet photo.
Aaargh!!  Where's my right leg gone, someone must have substituted a paler version whilst I snoozed. Give me back my leg - as in now!!


Dining options abound at Port Denarau, so you don't have to eat at your resort and only at your resort. The taxi ride is $5 from resort to port, and restaurants and shops are there aplenty.  This is my meal of Kokoda (Raw Fish) served to me at Bonefish Restaurant. George had Marlin Steaks - which he proclaimed were very satisfying.

A Tall Ship berthed in Port


Madam, you are only having the one cocktail tonight! Are you sure? Well I thought it was Black and White

The next night we dined again at Port Denarau. Our choice that evening was dining at Indigo, which is Indian food. George went for his trusty Butter Chicken and I had Palak Paneer. Once again, this meal did not disappoint.

 I must mention that if you are taking a taxi from your Denarau Resort to the Port, the taxi fare is a standard $5.00 in each direction. However make sure you have exactly $5.00. We offered a taxi driver a $10.00 note as we had nothing smaller and he insisted he had no change and our fare would have to be $10.00 (cough cough yeah right, everyone pays $5.00 and those taxis are the Resort - Port - Resort route). Well Karma bit a certain taxi driver on the bum big time. I put my hand in the door well handle as exiting, and felt paper. A quick glimpse confirmed it was money. So I kept it in my hand until I got out of the cab. In my hand I found a $10.00 note. Unfortunately he had driven off by the time I checked what it was (shhhhh!) Karma is a bitch and so am I !!

For our last night of dining, we opted for The Hard Rock Cafe. We knew it was a wise choice when we started walking in, and next minute a lovely young gay staff member came bounding up to me and squealed at the top of his voice "I love your hair, I love your hair - where are you from" I said New Zealand, and was rewarded with a lovely big hug and a kiss on each cheek!  Actually this whole trip - local Fijians were stopping me and saying your hair is cool, we love your hair. It almost got to the stage where I wished I had gone back to a normal colour for the duration of our holiday. Well maybe not, because then that wouldn't be me would it!


George opted for Sticky Ribs for his meal, and I opted for Nacho's - which were on the entree selection of the menu, and in true American fashion could feed a starving family of 20 for one month. Did I finish it - no way, Hose A!!

And our other friend for the night, was the lovely Ruci (pronounced Ruthy)


Would I return to Fiji? Absolutely, yes. I was surprised and amazed at Port Denarau. I don't know if I would opt for the islands or the Coral Coast (have been to both).  But for another slob and blob short burst, I would certainly return. 

Yes, you can Fiji Me again, anytime!!!














2 comments:

  1. Only just caught up on your Fiji holiday. Well deserved no doubt! Lovely photos, obviously some real challenges in there for you by the look of the photos! Back to the grindstone now and the Xmas rush - that's tough eh!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiji was absolutely wonderful and a welcome break before reality bit us on the bum. The day after we got back, when George got home, I had to say to him ''Excuse me, but do you reckon we were in Fiji or did I dream it?'' Thanks xxx

      Delete