Friday 21 March 2014

March 20th Relics From A Bygone Era

Well I don't know if I should share this or not. Today I cleaned my office out - as in cleaned papers, paraphernalia gathered over the years from working as a Travel Agent. This included items that made it into my office, because I couldn't think of where to put them. My motivation was that I would find a place for them - but I have been self employed working from home for nearly 9 years now, and it still hasn't happened.

Until... technology and the modern era caught up with me. And anyone that knows me, is fully aware that I love my bells and whistles, and any tooting faluting technology I own has to be the latest. If it blings and rings, baby it has to be mine. Apart from .... I LOVE WINDOWS XP.  Yes I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it, and I am always grumbling and bumbling that it isn't as good as XP.  Well can you imagine my devastation when Microsoft announced they would no longer be supporting XP. Which meant my Amadeus CRS (Central Reservation System for airlines)  would also no longer support XP due to its kick and a shove into the graveyard of former operating systems. So guess what has to go? Oh and for Apple afficionados - not an option as our CRS isn't compatible with Apple - Windows only!

Oh Good Bye Sweet Tower of Mine

 So then I stumbled upon all of my business cards from careers past. These are from my days as an HR Consultant in Australia, Bank Manager here in New Zealand. Then at one stage the Bank went through some redundancies, so I thought I would take my Real Estate Salesperson Licence as a just in case. Interesting course, but I was never made redundant and never became a Real Estate Agent. Instead later I went to work in a cafe while I decided my options - and here is my Student card when I decided Travel looked interesting. And my past and current business card from Travel.


What else did I find? Who remembers using these - valuable to me as an adult student


Finally, I stumbled upon my Drivers Licence reissued in 1985,and originally issued in 1975. A little hard bound book sure beats plastic 'fantastic' doesn't it?


What an awesome trip down Memory Lane. And I have a lovely clean office to boot!

2 comments:

  1. It's fun going through stuff of the past! It puts me into some sort of a trance where my body mind and soul is transported back to the particular era, and I virtually relive all the memories that pop into my mind as a result.

    I too need to do a clean up of my farm office. Only thing with me is that I tend to shift items from one room to another, thereby never getting rid of them. I am a terrible hoarder for sentimental reasons. Although I have improved a bit as I've gotten older as I realise I have no use for things I've stored away 'in case I need them one day'!!!!
    D. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never, ever discard things like this D. They are special to me and bring back so many memories as you have said. So now I have moved them... to another room :)

    ReplyDelete