Thursday 20 March 2014

March 19th A White Butterfly Did Flutter By

Every time I see these white butterflies in the garden, I always have a little chuckle. They are the monsters of the vegetable world, plundering cabbages, lettuce and anything else with edible green leaves for humans. I well remember my father in law, whom we all knew as Billy or Billy Boy, chasing these blighters in the garden with his tennis racquet and getting the boys to do the deed for him as well. Now when I think of it, if anyone had seen this display, they must have wondered what on earth these crazy people were doing, running around the garden, swiping at imaginary tennis balls with their tennis racquets!

Needless to say, I only take photos of them now and I can imagine my 'boys' reaction if I asked them to chase butterflies with a tennis racquet. However I may try it with the grandies one day - family traditions and all that


Have you ever tried to get one of these blighters to stay still for a photo op? Believe me, it's not easy

4 comments:

  1. I have heaps of white butterflies in my veg garden too. I have huge areas where rocket has self sown and now it's all gone to seed and the white butterflies spend all day hovering in amongst it. I have to spray my tomatoes unfortunately for pests such as these and I only wish they'd stay in the rocket patches and leave my toms alone so I wouldn't have to spray them! D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you know what you have to do!! Get out their and swipe them with a tennis racquet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got one of those fly swat tennis raquet thingees where you press the button as you swat the fly and it gets sizzled to death and you can hear it get sizzled. Sadistic creature I am. Haven't been out to the garden with it yet tho. Any neighbours with binoc's watching me would think I've gone crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A level of craziness is good for any neighbourhood - as long as it's quiet :)

    ReplyDelete