Sunday 23 February 2014

February 22nd A Day In The Life Of A Nana

This is the type of day I love the most. Havana came for a sleepover at Nana's.  George was away for the day fishing, so we had a girly girly day until the fisherman returned. It is very true I think that Grandparents make better parents as we don't have the pressures of parenthood.

First off we decided we should walk Minnie, well I decided and Havana agreed.  So down to the park we went


Home for a cold drink, and then we have to play Havana and Mummy.  With this game Havana is Mummy and I am Havana.  We have played this game forever. She goes off to work and usually I am consigned to sitting on the bath edge or in the spare bedroom here at home - as that is Kindy and she is in the lounge at her office.  One time she had me playing it at her own home - and I was stuck sitting on the stairwell. I asked if I could come home as I didn't like Day Care, and she told me no. Her words "Mummy has to go to Harvey Norman to buy a new bed"  I queried the Harvey Norman/new bed with Steph, and it hadn't even been a topic in the house. The power of subliminal advertising - I tell you! Back to today, and I asked her if I could pass on Kindy (it was a bit hot to be stuck in the bathroom for a good hour or so, there is a limit to Nana's patience). So Havana, in her role as Mummy decided we would 'stay home' and she would not go to work and instead would read me stories.  And to think I used to hate role plays in all the training courses attended over the years - in reality they were preparing me for my role as a Nana.


And moving on to modern technology.  Havana uses the laptop and I am on my computer in the office, and then we have to email each other. Her from my personal email, me using my work email.


The fisherman returned from the sea, very sunburnt and with a wonderful catch of Snapper.  Feet up and time for all of us to watch the movie 'Tangled' .   I know this is supposedly a kids' movie - but I love it, and still get teary eyed at the Happy Ever After ending.

Time for bed for our cheeky little Monkey - and Minnie decided she too had had a very long day, and she needed to catch up on some rest.


And the above is why I love being a Nana.  Growing up we only had immediate family, and I remember as a child being envious of the other kids with their Grandparents.  I may not have had that privilege when I was young, but it doesn't mean that now I am at the other end of the spectrum, I cannot absolutely delight in the time spent with my two gorgeous grandchildren. We just have to wait for Samara to get older so she can join us and imagine the mischief all of us can get into!




No comments:

Post a Comment