Friday 4 October 2013

October 3rd Another Family Reunion (of sorts)

I had the most wonderful surprise this evening. Minnie was barking and I thought she was alerting the neighbourhood that she was in control and looking after me - as I wasn't expecting guests. I thought I would pop my head through the bedroom window to make sure (our bedroom allows a good view of the front deck, and the window overlooks the steps) - and two ladies were standing there, holding a magazine that suspiciously looked like they were Jehovah's Witnesses from the back. Those who know me well can imagine my reaction. I was prepared to tell them to naff off (in an extremely polite way of course -  yeah right) - until they turned around.

Well..... I cannot express my delight at seeing Raewyn, whom I last saw in 1978 when we shared a flat together in Melbourne, Raewyn is now living in Perth, and her sister Raine - whom I caught up with last year. She resides in Hamilton, and we only initially touched base again because my lovely daughter in law Steph -  her Mum is a cousin to Raine and Raewyn. So we are actually now indirectly related!!

I am still gobsmacked at the most amazing surprise visit I could wish for. But you know how they say that people turn up unexpectedly when your house is at it's worst. Well  I can testify to that. I had a full on day with work in the morning, hairdressers, back to more work and the kitchen was strewn with the days junk mail and some shopping. A pile of bubble wrap on the floor as George had some at work, and brought it home to indulge my addiction. Some wines we bought at a Wine evening the previous night and I hadn't had time to unpack and they were strewn over the floor - including some new wine glasses (Spiegelau and greatly reduced at the wine sale - woo hooo). Then let's move to the bedroom - which runs off our lounge - hello, bed unmade and total mess. I was in such a rush in the morning I only ventured in there to get Minnie off the bed (she is like me and an old girl now and suffering aches and pains).I was caught out on a day when the  house was at it's messiest - oh and dishwasher not emptied in the morning, so dishes strewn over the bench.

But I am happy I was caught out due to these circumstances.  Girls, you saw me at my worst - but hey, what the hell at least my hair was done and at it's Pinkest Bestest!

Raewyn declined a photo for the day - as she was supposedly suffering the effects of the long flight from Perth to Auckland. I couldn't see it. So for my photo of the day - here is a snap I unexpectedly took when I was trying to reboot my phone and took a photo of the screensaver instead :)


2 comments:

  1. oh Irene that's priceless....& if u think ur house was messy I have to totally disagree, a good friend never judges & notices out of place things they should only enjoy the company of the friend they come to visit, & thank u so much for all the laughs, the most exceptional wine, most of all for just being you. Seeing u after good lord how many years was it, well it was just like we never parted, I am so looking forward to catching up again with u, rest up, take it easy cause the next weekend is gunna get messy lol.....god it was great seeing u & meeting ur wonderful husband also, do love the fluro pink hair hunnie, so very u xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a darling, and am so looking forward to next weekend. Just let me know what, when or where .... or if you wish you are welcome to both come to ours (note to self - clean house, empty dishwasher, clean underwear required next weekend)

      Delete