Sunday 23 December 2012

December 22nd Magic Mushrooms

Ha, now that title got your attention didn't it? I am not referring to the mushrooms that allow you to have a trip without leaving the farm - not that I live on farm or know if that is what they would do.
I am referring to my special Mushroom recipe, that doesn't keep you in the dark and feed you shite!

I thought it time I treated you to a verbal diatribe and Mushrooms are the topic. I was wondering how to combine both a huge Pork roast and a Leg of Lamb roast, both at the same time, in the oven,  What does that have to do with Mushrooms? Absolutely nothing, but there is a link believe me.

Back to the enigma of the roasts. A friend suggested we do one roast in a hooded BBQ (watch out, over there - there's a bbq in the hood, or under the hood!!).  I thought what a wonderful idea. Then I realised that our BBQ was in urgent need of an upgrade. It's hood had definitely seen better days - and like me it was tending to get a bit rusty and crusty.

So it was a case of:
 Hi Ho, Hi Ho,
 a BBQ Shopping let's go
Mitre 10's over there 
and maybe Bunnings if you care
Hi Ho Hi Ho
Till we saw 4 Seasons.  and that is the reason we purchased a super duper, kick arse mooper wooper Broil King BBQ. Whose specifications I won't go into here, but believe me a leg of Lamb will be  great, and as for steaks and veg we just can't wait.

So to introduce our new BBQ to the hood, and for us to try under the hood a BBQ dinner was called for. Steak etc, etc etc and this is where my Magic Mushrooms come in.  To see how good the new BBQ compared, we decided against being fancy schmancy and stuck to our tried and true recipes to see how they compare.

I purchase Portobello Mushrooms and stuff them with my Magic mixture. That is finely chopped up mushroom caps, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and dukkah. Place that into the mushroom, and top with grated cheese and a dusting of smoked paprika. Place on a BBQ plate, hood down (all cooking on this Broil King BBQ is done with the hood down -  no gang patches allowed).

Here are the mushrooms before they were bbq'd. I should have taken a photo of the finished product - but everything looked so enticing and the flesh is weak, so we ate them.  If anyone has any other ideas for stuffing mushrooms, please let me know!




2 comments:

  1. Friends of ours just got a Broil BBQ called the BBQ genuis. Which one did you get, they look vey cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely no idea Zeetra. It's a Broil King and even the manual only refers to a model number, and not name (and the box has been all chopped up and wrapped for recycling). Absolutely wonderful bbq, and I can see it will get a lot of use all year round here :) Merry Xmas!! xxx

    ReplyDelete